Saturday, April 18, 2009

The city only goes alive late at night

I stayed a little while in the hotel, and got ready to go down. I started off at around 11 and walked my way through the Rambla. This time I was without my map and guide, I think I already got a hold of this place and how the streets, narrow as they might be on the side, are organized. There was a lot of hustle and bustle and several people were still making their way into restaurants and Tapa bars. It was interesting to read about the habits of Spanish people, including they being night people. Things don’t pick up in restaurants till 10:30 and night spots actually hardly even open before midnight. I was seeing this on the street, it was amazing. This is really different from any other place. As a native of Cairo, we proudly talk about the continuous activity of the city all day and night, but things pick up early and people roaming the streets start to dwindle early on. On the other hand, the Anglo-Saxon cities start early and sleep early. This was different, and people took care of how the look more than I have seen in other places I have visited for a while (that last part is added to exclude Paris which I have listed as visited although it was for a few stop over hours very early in the morning on a weekend). I walked the streets, and eventually help myself to a donor Kebab to eat (I was having trouble identifying where I could have a meal, and the bar setup (which I learned later were actually places also serving food) didn’t invite me in. I had the donor, and thank god I didn’t ask for it to be spicy, the guy was Indian and I told him to hold on the spices a little (I mentioned that I never trust an Indian’s judgment on spices) and it was spicy nonetheless. The other good thing about it was that he spoke enough English to hold a conversation.
I took my sandwich and eat it while strolling along the Rambla, several acts were on display, music performance or painting and I made it all the way to the port. There I walked around, the weather was refreshing and the walk was pleasant. I walked along the palm stretch I encountered earlier; it looked different this time around and finally made my way back to the Rambla.

No comments: